Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Travel Tales: Days Two and Three of LA to Akron 2013

After eleven hours of sleep at the Sandia Peak Inn Motel, I was thoroughly rested and ready to continue my journey. I was bothered by the fact that the weather forecast had changed and now rain was expected for almost all of the third day. That meant I would have rain from St. Louis to Akron and I was not happy about it.

This was another beautiful day. I did not get on the road until 8:30 because I took my time leaving the motel. When I travel, I keep the car clock on Eastern time. I rely on the cell phone to give me the accurate time for the particular area. This is handy especially when some areas do not observe Daylight Savings Time. Today's book on cd was Goodnight Nobody. Once again this was a light-hearted book that was okay to pass the time on a long-distance trip. When I finished the book, I decided to just listen to music for the rest of the day.

The miles went by quickly. I got gas in Amarillo and Oklahoma City. The shocking aspect of driving this section was to see the damage the drought has done in this area. I used the turnpike bypass around OKC since it was rush hour. Darkness fell while I was driving the Oklahoma Turnpike. I told myself I would stop when I got tired.

On Day Three I drove through St. Louis in the early morning darkness. I do not like to take the bypass in St. Louis or in Indianapolis, but it is necessary to do so during rush hour. I got gas in Effingham and was not in the least bit tired.

I had forgotten that when I drove west in November, I noticed a lot of construction on I-70E. If I had driven through this section during the daylight, I would have had considerable delays, so I was happy to travel it before the workday began.

Finally I crossed the Ohio state line and got gas one last time on I-70, but I regretted doing that when I noticed the gas was cheaper north of Columbus on I-71 where I usually stop for it. I will keep that in mind for the next trip. Fortunately, I did not encounter any rain. I arrived home safely on a sunny afternoon. I like to arrive during daylight because I have time to handle any situation that needs my attention. I made the right decision to leave when I did. The weather since my trip has produced severe weather in the central United States and I do not know when I would have had such clear weather. As always, I am so relieved and blessed to complete another safe trip!!

(Photos taken in 2013)

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.