Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Travel Tales: Akron to LA 2014 - Day 2

English: A photograph of Shiprock.
English: A photograph of Shiprock. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
The rain we had avoided on Day One of our trip caught up with us before we left the hotel. When I checked the radar, I saw we would have to drive through the rain only in Oklahoma City. On the television, I saw a weather reporter discussing visibility in the western side of the state. I did not think too much about it until we got to Clinton, Oklahoma. The fog was thick - really thick. I remembered the reporter discussing western Oklahoma and we had to deal with the fog until we crossed the state line. Texas does not put up with that! The rest of the day was sunny, but when we got into New Mexico, the wind picked up big time.

Our original plan was to stop in Albuquerque, but we made good time which meant we would get into that city around 3:00. We thought we could do more that day. A high wind warning was in effect for the next day, so we decided to continue north to Farmington, New Mexico which is east of Shiprock. I know that seems a strange turn to take, so I will explain. Originally, our plans were to go over the Rockies to Moab, Utah. That plan was ended when a snowstorm dumped a couple feet of snow on the mountains just before we left. We had to think fast because we wanted to see Utah. The safest route was to take I-40 to Albuquerque and then go north.

I make it a point to use interstates when I travel alone, but this time I had a passenger. In addition, interstates to do not take vacationers driving from the southeast directly to the National Parks in Utah. We headed north on US 550. We traveled through the beautiful land of the Navajo reservation and were treated to the most beautiful sunset we had ever seen. By spending the night at Farmington, we were able to take three hours off the next day's journey. Only two hours left to Moab!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.